“The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.” — Unknown
Greetings, internet. My name is Kollin Cooley. I live in Southern California and am an avid gamer and storyteller. I am eighteen, and currently working both part-time at Target and a full time student. My universe, mostly regarding the planet called ‘Nacre Then’, is my passion. It is an epic fantasy world, much like J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth, C.S. Lewis’ Narnia, Brandon Sanderson’s Cosmere, or George R.R. Martin’s universe, (which, at least at the time of writing this, has no official “name”). It is thriving with tyrannical and peaceful nations, magical creatures and races, and huge, earth-shattering events. I guess in this case, though, it would be Nacre Then-shattering events! Haha! …sorry.
Anyways, The Archive, (the full* text of which is available on the site), is the full text of virtually everything pertaining to Nacre Then, and as I’ve been building upon this universe for over five years now, its over twenty thousand words long.
*I say full, but it’s always changing. I’ll update it periodically.
So if you’re ever bored out of your mind, or a super fantasy nerd like me, I recommend you check it out. More likely, though, you’ll probably find my short stories the most interesting reads.
In this blog, I plan on doing a number of things:
1. First and foremost, write more. It would do me no small amount of good. Fortunately, I can’t mess that part of the process up as long as I stay on track!
2. Review some of the books I’ve been reading. Another thing I need to do more is read. My New Years Resolution for this year was to read 50 books. I’m a little behind at the moment, but there is plenty of time to catch up.
3. Talk about games I’m currently playing! I don’t currently plan on reviewing them per se, because I don’t typically play new games very often. But I’ll talk about things I like about it, funny things that may have happened to me, or ideas I’ve gotten from them.
4. I also plan on talking a bit about me and my life. Not much, mind you, because for the most part it’s a little bland. Every day at work is more or less the same and being a student in community college doesn’t lend itself to a good read as well.
5. Perhaps I’ll throw some of these things in occasionally, though. As a side note, today I played Dungeons and Dragons with some friends. Super nerd, as I’ve already established. I’m also super into Rooster Teeth’s RWBY, right now. I recommend it if you’re able to suspend disbelief that every weapon can also transform into a gun. It’s a lot of fun.
I am hoping this occurs naturally, but I hope to learn more about myself through this blog. I don’t think I’m alone when I say I want to be better than the person I was yesterday, and I think this is one path that will take me there.
One day maybe I’ll sort all of the things I plan on talking about into a weekly rotation (book reviews on Tuesday, games on Friday, for example). For now, though, I’m far too uncoordinated. Generally speaking, I’m an organized person, so it’ll probably hurt my soul a little to not have things sorted where I can, but for the time being it’ll be easier not to. So I’ll just go with not doing that.
With all that being said, that is what the plan is. Stay tuned. Also, in case you’re having a bad day, here is a humorous picture courtesy of the internet. And if you’re having a good day, here is a humorous picture courtesy of the internet. It isn’t my fault you didn’t tell me how your day was. Seriously, you’ve been reading this entire thing and you haven’t once said a word. It’s kinda rude, but I’ll forgive you this once for reading it in the first place. With that, I will close. I appreciate taking the time out of your day to read this. May your tomorrow be better than today was!